Move Your Asana: Standing Poses
Are you a yoga student who wants to build more confidence in class (or your home practice) and would like more instruction on common standing poses? Are you a yoga teacher who would like to review the breakdown of common standing poses applying anatomy knowledge and mindfulness? Are you thinking of becoming a yoga teacher but are not ready to make the financial or time commitment for a full 200-Hour yoga teacher training?
This course will cover:
- How to apply the Principles of Alignment to many common standing postures (asanas)
- How to use props to sense and maintain proper alignment in each posture
- Anatomy and physiology of the body parts affected by each posture
- The energetic anatomy of each posture (chakras)
- How to get into, hold, and get out of each posture safely, effectively, and gracefully
You do not have to be a yoga teacher to take this workshop. This course is open to the public. Registered Yoga Teachers may receive 2 hours of Continuing Education credit through Yoga Alliance. Students who are thinking of becoming yoga teachers, but are not yet ready to leap into a 200-Hour intensive training may apply these hours toward a 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training through Wise Owl Wellness.
Yoga students will learn:
- How to adjust each posture for proper alignment & safety
- Basic anatomy that will increase body awareness during yoga classes
- Energetic anatomy that will increase sensory awareness during yoga classes
Yoga teachers will learn:
- How to lead their students into & out of each posture safely and gracefully
- Hands on Assists and Ethics of Touch
- Anatomy review
- Bring a yoga mat, if you have one. We have a few to lend at the studio.
- Bring a water bottle.
- Dress comfortably and be ready to move.
- Bring a notebook and pen to take notes and a camera if you wish to take pictures of the poses.
Sunday, October 14, 2018
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
4625 E Broadway Blvd (Broadway/Swan, next to Kontiki, upstairs studio)
$25 if registered by October 12, 2018
$35 after October 12, 2018
Registration is required for this course.
This course is 2.0 contact hours Continuing Education credits through Yoga Alliance. If you are not yet a yoga teacher, you may apply these hours toward a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training through Wise Owl Wellness.
Yin Yoga Level I Teacher Certification
Yin Yoga is a deep, meditative and often profound practice. Infused with longer, more passive holds, the yin style involves surrendering into poses and exploring them for longer periods of time in order to let go of tensions stored in the body and to calm the nervous system.
Practicing this way helps to target deeper connective tissues especially around the hips, pelvis and lower spine. This practice helps us to balance our emotions, still our minds, and open the deep connective tissues in the body using various yin asanas.
This course does not go into depth about the meridians as associated with yin yoga. That will be covered in the Level II training that will be offered at a later date. However, you will still be able to teach yin yoga after taking the Level I training. Level II just takes the practice deeper.
This course is for yoga teachers who want to:
- deepen their own practice
- add a new modality to their teacher toolbox
- reach new student populations who need to address issues within the tendons, ligaments, fascia, and/or joints.
You will learn:
- Origin and Definition of Yin Yoga
- Pranayama and Meditation Techniques
- How to Practice Yin Yoga with Intention & Attention
- All About Props
- 30+ Yin Asanas (poses) and How to Sequence Them
- A manual with 8 Yin Yoga Sequences
Recommended (not required) Reading:
- The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark
- Yin Yoga: Stretch the Mindful Way by Kassandra Reinhardt
6 Contact Continuing Education Hours are available for yoga teachers registered with Yoga Alliance.
Saturday, October 13, 2018
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
4625 E Broadway Blvd. (Broadway/Swan, next to Kontiki, upstairs studio)
$80 if registered by October 10
$108 if registered after October 10